Saturday, March 21, 2015

Christie's Review: Elements of Chemistry: Heat by Penny Reid

24950576




Title: Elements of Chemistry: Heat
Series: Hypothesis #0.5
Author: Penny Reid
Release Date: April 30, 2015
Rating: 5 stars
Cliffhanger: Yes









**This is a spoiler free review.**

Oh, Penny. How do you do it? It defies the odds of a book lover's luck that I keep handing out these shiny 5 stars. Well, I guess the universe and the Book Gods are smiling down at me, because once again, her book slapped a silly grin on my face and it's not wearing off. I'm not going to gush about my intense author crush this time because by now, if you've read any of my reviews, you know how deeply I connect with her stories.

What I will say is that everything you would come to expect in a Penny Reid book is in attendance, faithfully and in the most comforting way. All the wittiness, Martin Sandeke intensity, and quirky, lovable, nerdy, Katy goodness from Elements of Chemistry: Attraction is here and it's not going anywhere. I can't get my hands on book three fast enough. Now wouldn't be fast enough. (I know, I sound greedy, right?) Well, you'd totally be nodding your head and giving me a hug right now if you were in this boat with me.



There's trouble in paradise with Katy and Martin.

A beautiful man is the devil's most potent weapon.

Book one ends in a very uncertain situation, and I know I'm not the only one who was eager to see this speed bump resolved. Well no worries on that front, Penny doesn't make us wait long for some much needed relief. Chapter one brings us right in the thick of The Confrontation. What happens next? You'll have to experience that for yourself-no spoilers here.

One thing of note about this book is that if you are the kind of reader that needs your passion to be of the explicit variety, rest assured, this book is called Heat for a reason. You could knock me down with a feather when I read some of the scenes between Katy and Martin. Penny has pulled some delicious dirty talking, alpha-like hero skills out of her writing bag that surprised even me.

Oh.
Freaking.
My.

As always, this author's grasp of the necessary build of emotion through anticipation is spot on. But she executed some scorching hot stuff this time around for us lucky readers-I can't even. You just don't want to miss this one.



Katy's pants were once again throwing a party for two but luckily we were all invited to take a peek.



This book in part focuses on Katy's self discovery of the drawbacks of her analytical, logical side. Though she has admirable maturity that's even better than most adult characters I read, she lacks some life skills that prevent her from taking risks. From being passionate and exploring her sexuality. She's a little bit lost and feeling like her safe cage has been rattled.

I knew who I was supposed to be, but I was not that person. As well, I had no idea who I actually was.

But this is not your typical New Adult identity crisis. Penny doesn't do common. Katy tackles her raw feelings with a wisdom that surpasses her years. I thought I loved her before, but she was even better this time around.

Plus, there's just something about how Mr. Sandeke knows how to bring all of her bottled emotions to the surface and face them head on. Yes, he's a jerk face, and yes- I love him. The fact that the one vulnerability in his armor is Katy hits you right in the heart. It melted more times than I could count at how exposed he was with her. Right down to a little puddle in my chest.



If you haven't realized yet, I LOVE THIS BOOK. I don't want to spoil anything for you, so I'm going to leave it here. Just know, as this is a trilogy series, as expected, you're going to be left in a very uncomfortable place. My feels have hit an all-time high with this couple's excruciating ups and downs. Once again, she's worked her magic spell over me and now trying (unsuccessfully) to recover from the aftermath of this ending. I must be a masochist because I'm not even sorry for the condition I'm in. It was worth it to get to visit Katy and Martin in Heat. Now off I go, to pretend that I'm not hanging here in suspense so I can try to ignore my massive, hulking, book hangover.



FOLLOW SMOKIN HOT BOOK BLOG ON:

TwitterGoogle PlusBlogEmailGoodreadsPinteresttsūFacebook



View all my reviews

0 komentarze:

Post a Comment