Monday, August 28, 2017

Review: Fallen Heir by Erin Watt



Title: Fallen Heir
Series: The Royals
Author: Erin Watt
Release date: August 28, 2017
Cliffhanger: Yes
Rating: 2.5 stars


Synopsis:

These Royals will ruin you.

Easton Royal has it all: looks, money, intelligence. His goal in life is to have as much fun as possible. He never thinks about the consequences because he doesn’t have to.

Until Hartley Wright appears, shaking up his easy life. She’s the one girl who’s said no, despite being attracted to him. Easton can’t figure her out and that makes her all the more irresistible.

Hartley doesn’t want him. She says he needs to grow up.

She might be right.

Rivals. Rules. Regrets. For the first time in Easton’s life, wearing a Royal crown isn’t enough. He’s about to learn that the higher you start, the harder you fall.


LINKS:


FALLEN HEIR
♛ http://geni.us/FallenHeirAmazon 
♛ http://geni.us/FallenHeiriBooks
♛ http://geni.us/FallenHeirKobo
♛ http://geni.us/FallenHeirNook

BOOKS 1-3
PAPER PRINCESS: http://amzn.to/2wTryiD
BROKEN PRINCE: http://amzn.to/2vu9Z5a
TWISTED PALACE: http://amzn.to/2xEI8jg

Goodreads: http://bit.ly/2uQXVNI

REVIEW

I wish that I could say that this book was another addictive, adrenaline filled experience like I've come to expect with The Royals. But unfortunately Fallen Heir and more specifically, Easton just wasn't what I was hoping for. For me, it was just okay. But don't let my thoughts and personal issues hold you back from giving this book a shot. Quite possibly, you will be happily ruined by these Royals as you have in the past.

If you've read the other books in the series, you already knew to expect Easton to be a hot mess. Anger, alcohol, drugs, illegal fighting, and a propensity for gambling make him the personification of high school bad boy. He's the one everyone is always chasing after, trying to help him clean up his messes. And yet, there was something about him that intrigued me.

There was a vulnerability there, often we'd see glimpses of the injured and hurting boy he was and you rooted for him to overcome all of the demons that had a hold of him. The way he opened up about their mother, the way he grew to love Ella as a sister and fell apart when she was gone. And that for me, was missing. I did not see anything in him except a spoiled, self-centered, and entitled kid. And it was just...annoying. I couldn't take much more of his immature antics to be frank.

Easton's was determined to make a total disaster of his life, and lay waste everyone around him as well. I could understand in some way that he's legitimately unable to deal with any type of responsibility or consequences because he was never taught. And there's another revelation about his behavior that was never resolved for him growing up. But quite honestly, I just wanted to shake him and wring his neck so many times. It was because of this that caused a disconnect with me in regards to him and Hartley. I felt ambivalent towards their relationship, in fact, I rooted for her to continue to keep him at a distance.

Hartley was too good for him, and she knew it. After having one of the worst introductions you could have with somebody, she knew he was ten kinds of trouble and refused to fall for his charms or status at school. This is something that probably attracted him even more, and he began a campaign to win her over. Even her friendship was not freely given, he had to work to be let in her life. And rightly so. Trusting Easton proved to be something she lived to regret.

As fans of the series know, the Royals lives are always riddled with extreme drama, and shocking events. And you can always count on a highly suspenseful cliffhanger to leave you gasping. Fallen Heir was no exception. I don't know what it was, but the drama aspect wasn't working for me this time around. Felicity's character was yet another female of the social climbing/psychotic/greedy/evil variety that is a staple in every book. I mean, we had Brooke, Dina, Jordan, now Felicity, and even Lauren. It's becoming too much of the same. I just felt as if the drama and the repetitious back and forth between Hartley and Easton were space fillers. The lack of empathy for him or angst towards their relationship was an issue for me. I didn't feel those things I should have.

What did I enjoy? The humorously snappy dialogue between Easton and his friends and family. As always, the authors were on point in that regard keeping me entertained. I loved Hartley, and felt as if she more than held her own against Easton's flirty charm and her corrupt father. She may have grown up in privilege, but she had a strong set of values and wasn't afraid to work hard in order to do what was right. The unpredictable events at the end took me completely by surprise. I have to admit that even though I wasn't the biggest fan of this particular addition to the series, I'm still curious to see how things will pan out. Relief from the monstrous cliffy comes in December with Cracked Kingdom, the conclusion to Easton's duo.


FOLLOW SMOKIN HOT BOOK BLOG ON: 


TwitterGoogle PlusBlogEmailGoodreadsPinteresttsūFacebook


0 komentarze:

Post a Comment