Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Review: Wingman by Natasha Anders


Title: The Wingman
Series: Standalone
Author: Natasha Anders
Release date: March 7, 2017
Cliffhanger: No
Rating: 4 stars

Synopsis:

She was supposed to be his one-night distraction. But their attraction is undeniable.

Introverted Daisy McGregor is used to being a wallflower, but what she lacks in style, she makes up for with an acerbic wit, a passion for life, and a deep devotion to her family. So she’ll suffer through her sister Dahlia’s bachelorette party and accept the cloud of pity for going stag to the wedding.

Out at the pub, sexy bad boy Mason Carlisle is a reluctant wingman tasked with entertaining Daisy while his brother flirts with her oldest sister, Daffodil. When the plan fails and Mason’s true intent is revealed, he feels intense guilt—and a sensual spark of desire for the unlikeliest of women.

Daisy decides to use this unfortunate encounter to her advantage: to make it up to her, Mason will be another kind of wingman, playing the role of her boyfriend and wedding date. Will their ruse unravel completely—or will Mason and Daisy’s undeniable attraction ignite a scorching love affair that knows no rules?




This was my very first Natasha Anders book and overall, I think I picked the right introduction to her writing. This author is known for her asshole heroes, and since my personal preference is not this type, I've held out. But I'm really glad I decided to give this one a shot. I fully admit, nerdy/quirky characters are my kryptonite. After seeing that the heroine was a quirky introvert type, I folded like a deck of cards. Daisy McGregor had me at hello.

Yes, Daisy's self-esteem was sorely lacking, and she had quite a lot of negative thoughts about herself. However, when you're constantly belittled and ridiculed for years by your sisters' friends, it's no wonder that these hateful comments would take control of her head. I sympathized with her. She was a bit of an odd ball, but she had intelligence, wit, and I couldn't help but find her endearing from the start. After finishing school early, she followed in her father's footsteps and joined him in his veterinary practice. She's devoted all of her time working towards her career, so by the time she reached the age of twenty seven, she was sorely lacking in social and dating skills.

Whereas Daisy was an awkward duck, Mason has done well for himself after high school. He's now a successful man, confident, and very popular with the ladies. He and Daisy don't have very much in common on the surface, but I really felt like they clicked naturally from the start. I loved how he accepted her and challenged her to stop selling herself short.

“Thank you.” “What for?” “Believing me.” Her words infuriated him, made him want to take on every single person in the world who had ever made her feel worthless and unattractive. Starting with Daisy herself.

Mason and Daisy strike a deal with each other: to play the part of a couple to ward off her family's interference and rude comments. The plan doesn't quite go as planned when their attraction blooms and lust flares.

I think this was a solid four star book, my main difficulty with it was the fact that Mason went completely overboard towards the end and held onto his grudge with an iron fist. I didn't feel like his reaction towards the circumstances was fitting. Frankly, if I were Daisy, I would have taken his attitude and treatment more seriously than her. Not only that, but he was throwing out quite a few mixed signals towards her, and his push and pull indecisiveness throughout the book left a little to be desired for me.

Overall, I found Wingman to be an enjoyable and cute read, and I'm definitely on board to read more from this author. I'd recommend this to anyone looking for a light read about a heroine that has to learn to love and accept herself, and a hero who accepts her just as she is.

“I see my whole fucking world, Daisy. I see all my days, my weeks, and my years. Every season of my life. All spent with you. I see everything I want, need, and desire all wrapped up in you.”


FOLLOW SMOKIN HOT BOOK BLOG ON: 


TwitterGoogle PlusBlogEmailGoodreadsPinteresttsūFacebook


0 komentarze:

Post a Comment