Monday, January 30, 2017

Review: Good Boy by Sarina Bowen & Elle Kennedy



Title: Good Boy
Series: WAGs (Wives and Girlfriends)#1
Author: Sarina Bowen & Elle Kennedy
Release date: January 31, 2017
Cliffhanger: No

Synopsis:

Hosting her brother’s wedding for an MVP guest list is the challenge of Jess Canning’s life. Already the family screw-up, she can’t afford to fail. And nobody (nobody!) can learn of the colossal mistake she made with the best man during a weak moment last spring. It was wrong, and there will not be a repeat. Absolutely not. Even if he is the sexiest thing on two legs.

Blake Riley sees the wedding as fate’s gift to him. Jess is the maid of honor and he’s the best man? Let the games begin. So what if he’s facing a little (fine, a lot) of resistance? He just needs to convince the stubborn blonde that he’s really a good boy with a bad rap. Luckily, every professional hockey player knows that you’ve got to make an effort if you want to score.

But Jess has more pressing issues to deal with than sexy-times with a giant man-child. Such as: Will the ceremony start on time, even though someone got grandma drunk? Does glitter ever belong at a wedding? And is it wrong to murder the best man?

Caution: May cause accidental aspiration of tea or coffee. Do not read in a public place where loud laughter is inappropriate. Contains hot but hilarious hockey players, puppy cuddling and a snarky pair of underwear.


Stay (WAGs #2) releases June 2017!





So. I have a confession. I may be one of the last people in the book world to not have read the Him series. When I first saw that this was a spin-off with connected characters I hesitated, because I wasn't sure if reading the other two books would be helpful to enjoy this as I should. If you have that same thought, let me assure you, this is a complete standalone. You do not need to have been introduced to any of these characters before. But for those of you who have read Him/Us and aren't aware, this is book is about Jamie's sister Jess and Wes' teammate Blake.

The first thought that comes to mind about this story is that you need to be prepared to laugh. Blake is an in-your-face horndog. He's completely crazy, and stubborn as hell too. You will be hard pressed to get this man to take much in life seriously. Most of the time when he opens his mouth, out comes some insanely ridiculous statement...yet you find yourself unwillingly laughing. He has this charm about him that doesn't let you look away. I'm not going to lie, I rolled my eyes a few times because he is so...so....BLAKE. But there is no other guy like him, of that I can guarantee. And he's kind of like a big teddy bear who's protective of everyone around him. It's pretty hard to dislike him.

He laughs the way he lives his life— loud and fierce and without inhibition. He fucks that way, too.

Jess had a one-night stand with Blake that no one knows about. He's her little huge dirty secret that she remembers with heat and regret all at the same time. He's just another one of her impulsive bad decisions, and her family already has enough ammunition in that department against her. In fact, this latest event planning career she has is yet another venture dying a quick, painful death. As much as she loves being able to plan her brother's wedding, she realizes that she's chosen the wrong path once again. But she has a new plan: her calling is to become a nurse. Now to convince her family that she's serious about it this time. Blake's persistent pursuit of her isn't in her plans.

Blake is determined for some more lighthearted fun with his friend's sexy sister. Nothing serious, because he's been burned and wounded by his ex and he's all about casual now. What would a romp or two (or three) hurt? Her attempts to shoot him down only fan the flames of his attraction.

“I said go away,” she growls. I hide a smile. Now this is what gets me going— a woman who doesn’t give a shit that I’m Blake Riley the hockey player. A woman who’d rather shoo me away than impress me. It’s… refreshing.

This book was very low on the angst and high on the fun. There wasn't a whole lot of drama between them and I have to say I really enjoyed the lightness of this one. Jess struggled with getting involved with Blake while she was trying to prove herself to her family. And Blake had to work through the betrayal from his ex and learn to trust someone else again with his heart. But once he realized that his feelings ran deeper than some very satisfying sexy times, he wasn't going anywhere. He was in it for the long haul.

“I’m what?” I ask thickly. She squeezes my hand. “You’re the best.” Her praise makes my heart soar. Damn it. I’ve got it bad. I’m so fucking fucked.

This was an easy, fast paced read with plenty of laughs. I highly enjoyed meeting this group of characters and will be continuing the series without a doubt. Book two in the WAGs series, Stay is Eriksson's book and is scheduled for release in June.


FOLLOW SMOKIN HOT BOOK BLOG ON: 

TwitterGoogle PlusBlogEmailGoodreadsPinteresttsūFacebook


0 komentarze:

Post a Comment