Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Christie's review: Showmance by L.H. Cosway



Title: Showmance
Series: Standalone
Author: L.H. Cosway
Release date: May 16, 2016
Cliffhanger: No

Synopsis:

Damon Atwood was Hollywood’s golden boy. Having won an Oscar at the tender age of thirteen, he had the life many could only dream about. But his success came at a price, and after a short but fruitful film career, he chose to live a life of obscurity on a remote Scottish island. Almost a decade later he’s finally ready to make his return, starting with a lead role in a musical on London’s West End.

As a choreographer’s assistant, Rose Taylor has always faded into the background. She watches shows come to life from the side lines, but has never craved the attention of stardom. When rumours begin circulating of Damon’s involvement in her latest gig, she doesn’t predict how she will be thrust into the limelight, nor how the mysterious and strangely introverted man will need her to teach him how to be a star again.

Rose knows that show crushes don’t last. Actors fall for each other during the intensity of a production, often losing themselves in their roles. These kinds of affairs burn bright and then they fade. The question is, should Rose let herself shine with Damon, or guard her heart from being broken after the final curtain call?



I'm such a fanatic about L.H. Cosway's writing. Her stories are rich with detail and authenticity. She takes unexpected and flawed characters and makes them leap right off the pages and capture your whole imagination. Showmance was no exception, I was completely absorbed and luxuriating in the setting, the characters, and the wonderful world of theater. This is the captivating story of two talented people finding love on the set of Moulin Rouge in the British theater district.

I think my favorite thing about this book was Damon, hands down. I always expect the unexpected with one of her books, but he was a very welcome surprise for me. Here's why I loved him so much: he was a reclusive ex-Hollywood star who is socially awkward and uneasy about being around people. His awkwardness was so endearing and original to me.

The man was such a contradiction, with the rugged good looks of a heartthrob and the personality of a hermit just coming out of hibernation.

He's an extremely sweet and sensitive type of guy, he's just unable to express himself capably and I could really identify with that. His character was just so fascinating to read about, the many complexities he had, and his imperfections. He was vulnerable, but not weak. Quiet, but steady and unimpressed by the artificial side of being in the public eye. I melted all over his tender yearnings toward Rose right from the start. He exuded nothing but intensity and sincerity, there was nothing phony about him.


His inner thoughts had me laughing on so many occasions. I couldn't help but chuckle at his flustered emotions, he was always struggling to control his attraction without much success.

I thought I saw a tiny tremble go through her, and my cock reacted. I silently urged it to fuck off. I didn't need Rose noticing my stuffy and thinking I was some kind of sexual deviant.

All right, I think I'm done gushing about Damon. I'm attempting to reign it in here.

Rose was another wonderful heroine. She's a talented choreographer whose stage fright directs her to stay behind the scenes. She's completely without artifice or ego, and she exudes a kind of innocence and honesty that immediately pulls in the distrustful Damon. She was immediately attracted to him, but determined to stay on platonic footing. She has a past proclivity for being drawn to the actors she works with. After her recent disaster on that front, she vows to avoid letting herself get taken advantage of again. Not that Damon isn't making her test her restraint from the very start.

It felt strange, this thing between us, because ninety-five percent of it was completely unspoken. It was just a feeling, one that drew me to him like a moth to a flame.

L.H. Cosway built the anticipation and tension to a fine point. I was desperate for them to work out their fears and break through the barriers that held them back. The push and pull between these two, the longing and hunger that they tried to tamp down gave me the giddy flutters. There were outside factors influencing their distance as well, with a jealous ex and another meddling interloper. But once they made their choice to grasp onto one another, they were inseparable. Their love and desire for one another was written so beautifully, I wanted to creep inside the book and stay there. *swoony sigh*

A long relieved sigh escaped him as we started to kiss in earnest, our mouths melding together, our tongues searching, like were were trying to absorb one another whole.

I can't recommend this book enough. Damon and Rose had the kind of love that romance readers love to escape in. Heart pounding from beginning to end. As long as L.H. Cosway decides to pen these exquisite stories, I'll happily devour her words and love every minute of it.



FOLLOW SMOKIN HOT BOOK BLOG ON: 

TwitterGoogle PlusBlogEmailGoodreadsPinteresttsūFacebook



0 komentarze:

Post a Comment