Saturday, January 2, 2016

Patrycja's Review: Progress by Amalie Silver



28162737


Title: Progress
Series: Yes. The continuation of the story is planned.
Author: Amalie Silver
Release Date: 15 January, 2016
Rating: 2.5 stars - 3 stars
Cliffhanger:. No

Jesse

I admit, I didn’t think much of Charlie at first. She was rounder than the girls who usually caught my eye. Not my type. But when I saw her sitting in that booth alone, for the first time something in my mind or my instincts or my heart told me to join her.

She defied me.
She challenged me.
She gave me hope.
Before I knew it, moving forward was my only option.

Charlie

I couldn’t tell you when it happened, but it had to have been a gradual change; I never moved too quickly.

If someone would have told me earlier that year what I was going to go through, I wouldn't have believed them.

Jesse was so different from anyone I’d met before. And everyone I’ve met since. He sucked all the life out of me, in the best—and worst—ways.

We don’t get strong overnight. For most of us it takes time. Strength isn’t measured by how high and fast our walls go up, but how easily we can watch them fall.


Warning: This book contains material that might be a trigger for some readers. Abuse and rape are implied, but not described in detail. Discretion is advised







"I wanted to be somebody.
I wanted to be somebody to him."



Charlie is 22 years old and she has a problem with weight. She feels terrible in her own body; she lacks of confidence, self worth and respect. She's working in a restaurant where she meets 25 year old Jesse, a very handsome delivery guy. She instantly starts to crush on him. They develop 'weird' sort of friendship - sometimes Jesse acts very nice toward her other times he hurts her. It happens over and over again.



Progress is one of those books that left me confused (sad maybe?) and not exactly sure if I liked what I've read.

Even though some time has passed since I reached the end my thoughts are still over the place. I am not 100% convinced by this story. It wasn't a bad - I would say it was very interesting and relatable novel and given different circumstances I might have enjoyed it more, but it was just not what I've been looking for. Too many depressing thoughts and feelings.



"Jesse and I would always be opposites.
Two people connected in the unlikeliest of ways.
Contrary forces acting complimentary.
Fire and water.
Absent and present.
Dead and alive.
Light and dark.
Always and never."




My main issue with Amalie Silver's book was with the constant fat shaming and lack of confidence and self worth of the main character, which was very tiring and depressing. I have enough of body image issues in real life to deal with them in books. In my stories I need a heroine who's confident even when imperfect.



"Beautiful boys like him didn't hang out with ugly girls like me. No matter his candor. I couldn't ignore that I knew he was better than me. And that I should've considered it a privilege he was still there. "


Sorry, but Charlie annoyed me, made me gloomy and frankly she made it hard for me to keep on reading. Fortunately as the story progressed Charlie started to grow up and see herself in better light. I wanted to scream at Charlie - 'GROW SOME BALLS, LADY!'




All in all, Progress is very emotional read. It's messy, confusing and depressing, yet it holds much potential. I believe that readers who tend to enjoy books that deal with toxic relationships, characters with problems and slow burn romance will be pleasantly surprised with it.




FOLLOW SMOKIN HOT BOOK BLOG ON:

TwitterGoogle PlusBlogEmailGoodreadsPinteresttsūFacebook


0 komentarze:

Post a Comment