Monday, February 1, 2016

Christie's review: The Rules by Elizabeth Brown

25891968




Title:The Rules
Series: Off-Limits #2
Author: Elizabeth Brown
Release Date: February 2, 2016
Rating:4 stars
Cliffhanger: No

An older-brother's-best-friend romance

When you're a guy, the rules are simple. Live by the Bro Code:
Rule #1: Always have his back.
Rule #2: Don’t ever leave him stranded.
Rule #3: Never, ever, touch his sister.

Aw, hell. Two out of three ain't bad.
----------
Warning: This story contains mature humor, a lot of cursing, and of course, sexual situations. It’s intended for adult
readers who enjoy that kind of thing.
----------
Lambo and Ainsley's story.
Dual POV with no cliffhanger.
Book 2 in The Off-Limits series. Standalone- but you'll enjoy it more if you read Book 1.





The Rules is a lighthearted, fast and easy adventure through a manwhore's loss of his hit it and quit it lifestyle. It's told in alternating POV, so not only do we get the funny inner thoughts of the ultimate ladies man, we also get Ainsley's side of the story which I feel gave the book a better balance had it just been the male POV.

If you're a fan of the brother's best friend trope, or the shameless manwhore brought down by an unlikely love, you'll find a lot to enjoy here. I picked this book up as I was recovering from the flu, and I'm so glad I did. It was infused with plenty of sexy times and humor to keep me entertained when I really needed it. This book not only gave me unlimited smiles, but when I wasn't wanting to smack Lambo for his over sexed thoughts, I was being charmed against my will. He is most definitely the best kind of redeemable man ho. I dare you to not full out love him by the end. He's conceited, selfish, and self-centered. Yet, his audacity is nothing short of laugh-worthy.

I kept my briefs on, because as you may remember, I looked fucking good in them. Have I mentioned that sometimes, when chicks think I'm sleeping, I catch them taking selfies with my ass in nothing but these babies?

Just when I thought he couldn't surprise me, he'd come out with a one-liner that would have me laughing out loud. The man had confidence in spades, I'll give him that.

"Oh my God, you are such a stalker."
"I think I'd prefer the term pussy-whisperer, sweetheart."


Even though he's completely full of himself, he never once treats her with disrespect or acts like an asshole. I really liked that underneath all that bluster, he was just a good guy who discovered that his feelings for his best friend's sister went deeper than he ever thought.

After a disastrous fumble one night when she was underage, they both steered clear of one another...until Vegas happened. Suddenly, truths come out and nothing is as it seemed before. The attraction that was stifled years ago suddenly is brought right back to the surface. But is Lambo willing to break his best friend's trust and pursue his feelings her Ainsley?

There's a lot more to this story than simply the brother's best friend storyline. Ainsley has sexual issues that stem from childhood abuse that Lambo is more than happy to work out with her. Even though the condition was a real and serious matter, it was quite an unusual one and the way it was addressed felt lighthearted rather than dark or depressing. I do think her bipolar depression was skimmed over and could have been more developed, but I'm probably more picky than others when it comes to that. Depression has affected my family for the majority of my life, so I know how debilitating it can be. But again, not everyone is going to be as critical as me on the subject.

What I loved was seeing Lambo's slow descent into love. It didn't feel rushed or unnatural. They evolved from a sexual relationship with no labels, to exclusive in secret, to more. It felt like a reasonable progression in their feelings, and there was definitely no insta-love. He had a soft heart underneath that sexy outer package and I loved seeing how accepting he was of her, and how he supported her even when she wasn't feeling capable of holding everything all together. He loved her, just as she was.

"You keep saying you're fucked up, but what you aren't hearing is that I don't care. All I want is you. All of you. Only you."
He rested his forehead against mine.
"I love you, Ainsley Andrews."


If you're looking for something that will make you smile and keep you turning the pages in delight, look no further. Lambo was sweet, sexy, and devilish all rolled into one irresistible package. Ainsley was a somewhat inexperienced librarian who learns to let her hair down, and isn't afraid to keep this man in line who's used to always getting his way. I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a light and enchanting read to make them laugh. I think Elizabeth Brown has a new follower in me, I'm looking forward to seeing what she gives us next.


FOLLOW SMOKIN HOT BOOK BLOG ON: 

TwitterGoogle PlusBlogEmailGoodreadsPinteresttsūFacebook


0 komentarze:

Post a Comment