Sunday, February 16, 2014

Review: Transcendence by Shay Savage


20504754




Title: Transcendence
Series: Standalone (for now)
Author: Shay Savage
Release Date: February 14th , 2014
Rating: 2 stars
Cliffhanger: No









It’s said that women and men are from two different planets when it comes to communication, but how can they overcome the obstacles of prehistoric times when one of them simply doesn’t have the ability to comprehend language?

Ehd’s a caveman living on his own in a harsh wilderness. He’s strong and intelligent, but completely alone. When he finds a beautiful young woman in his pit trap, it’s obvious to him that she is meant to be his mate. He doesn’t know where she came from; she’s wearing some pretty odd clothing, and she makes a lot of noises with her mouth that give him a headache. Still, he’s determined to fulfill his purpose in life – provide for her, protect her, and put a baby in her.

Elizabeth doesn’t know where she is or exactly how she got there. She’s confused and distressed by her predicament, and there’s a caveman hauling her back to his cavehome. She’s not at all interested in Ehd’s primitive advances, and she just can’t seem to get him to listen. No matter what she tries, getting her point across to this primitive, but beautiful, man is a constant – and often hilarious – struggle.

With only each other for company, they must rely on one another to fight the dangers of the wild and prepare for the winter months. As they struggle to coexist, theirs becomes a love story that transcends language and time.


Shay Savage caught my attention with incredible as well as a little bit unbelievable idea, that totally did persuade me into reading Transcendence. I just couldn’t pass the opportunity to get my hands on a book about real caveman, could I? After reading so many delicious novels with alpha males aka modern cavemen, not digging into a book with a real one was for me almost a crime.

Not only did I was thrilled to find out exactly how this crazy story would go but I wanted and expected real alpha that would make my panties wet, my ovaries insane and just change into blubbery mess. I didn’t get that.




Honestly, I thought this story will go in completely different direction! I thought our caveman will be homo sapiens not complete primitive. In my mind, I saw this story as a spellbinding romance between modern woman and a man that lived in the wilderness, like Tarzan perhaps? Still caveman but intelligent, up – to – date human.

I’m sorry, but as captivating and original as the idea was, Transcendence is not a real romance in my eyes and it certainly didn’t make me swoon, laugh or have fun. For most of the time I was bored. Bored to tears.

I won’t be even telling you what the story is about, because frankly I could summarize the entire plot in few sentences. Reading the official blurb is as detailed as you could get. Mostly, Edh wanted to make his mate happy – give her water, food, nice cave to live in and baby. In his mind everything was about making babies. So we kind of get horny caveman and that’s all.





Reading only internal monologue of a prehistoric human, as there wasn’t any conversation, was boring. BORING. Yes, you guessed right Edh wasn’t very complex character. He was as simple as a man can get. I was turned off by this lack of conversations or at least some understanding between main characters. Edh was not able to comprehend and learn Elizabeth’s language at all. The only words he could use was his and Elizabeth name-sound (Edh and Beh), no, kiss and love. Nothing more.





Savage done a great job in psychological field of the story, though – I will admit that. I want to congratulate her for being so wonderful and detailed in telling a story from perspective of primitive man. Everything what made Edh a prehistoric human was perfectly thorough and comprehensive. Basic needs as food, water, shelter, safety and an heir were everything for him. But it didn’t make the story. Not for me.

In nutshell, I was pretty disappointed. Transcendence with it’s absolutely mind-blowing storyline should be the hit! Instead it was very slow-paced, meek and plain.



FOLLOW SMOKIN HOT BOOK BLOG ON:

TwitterFacebookGoogle PlusSmokin Hot Book BlogEmailGoodreadsPinterest











View all my reviews

0 komentarze:

Post a Comment