Thursday, July 23, 2015

Patrycja's review: The Veil (Devil's Isle #1) by Chloe Neill



21415815


Title: The Veil
Series: A Devil’s Isle #1
Author: Chloe Neill
Release Date: 4 August, 2015
Rating: 3 stars

Seven years ago, the Veil that separates humanity from what lies beyond was torn apart, and New Orleans was engulfed in a supernatural war. Now, those with paranormal powers have been confined in a walled community that humans call the District. Those who live there call it Devil's Isle.

Claire Connolly is a good girl with a dangerous secret: she’s a Sensitive, a human endowed with magic that seeped through the Veil. Claire knows that revealing her skills would mean being confined to Devil’s Isle. Unfortunately, hiding her power has left her untrained and unfocused.

Liam Quinn knows from experience that magic makes monsters of the weak, and he has no time for a Sensitive with no control of her own strength. But when he sees Claire using her powers to save a human under attack—in full view of the French Quarter—Liam decides to bring her to Devil’s Isle and the teacher she needs, even though getting her out of his way isn’t the same as keeping her out of his head.

But when the Veil threatens to shatter completely, Claire and Liam must work together to stop it, or else New Orleans will burn…






It’s been ages since I’ve read a great Urban Fantasy series. I’ve been a fan of this genre for years and after getting through so many of fantastic and kickass novels I’m in desperate need of something new, refreshing - something that would get my blood pumping. Unfortunately, I am not able to find it anywhere. Most of the UF books I’ve been reading lately are just mediocre. The Veil was a great opportunity to change my bad luck, but sadly it did not happen. It was good, but nothing that grabbed a hold of my heart.

The story has very interesting premise. It is set in a dystopian New Orleans; a world after the war with fae where The Veil separates human world from the paranormal one. Now, years after the war, humans still try to learn how to live in a completely changed universe, where there is magic and many dangers coming from it. They especially fear the wraiths – humans who possessed some magic which turned them rouge (something zombie like). To her misfortune, Claire is a Sensitive - a person with magic, and she needs to hide or she’ll be sent into The Devil’s Isle. When she uses her powers to help someone, she’s one step closer to being sent there, but meeting with Liam Quinn, a bounty hunter is her chance to blend in the crowd.

I found that the characters, although likeable were forgettable. In my opinion, Claire and Liam don’t have the intense chemistry or the power to lead the story. There was some sexual tension between them, but in reality the romance was barely there. I just didn’t feel it. I do hope however, that as the story progresses we’ll get more in that department and that this couple will grow and develop into something more passionate.

I was very delighted to see that Chloe Neill is publishing something completely new and had high hopes that The Veil would be the ’IT’ book for me. As it turned out, The Veil was just okay read for me. I liked it, enjoyed it but it was nowhere near enough. I craved more…

I will give the sequel a chance, because I certainly believe that this is just a story with slow build up and that in the next installments I will get much more of ass kicking, banter and sexy times. If you are on the lookout for a next UF read, I would say give it a go.

FOLLOW SMOKIN HOT BOOK BLOG ON:

TwitterGoogle PlusBlogEmailGoodreadsPinteresttsūFacebook





0 komentarze:

Post a Comment