Sunday, July 19, 2015

Eliza's Review: King of Hearts (Hearts #3) by L.H. Cosway






Title: King of Hearts
Series: Hearts, #3
Author: L.H. Cosway
Release date: 16th July, 2015
Cliffhanger: No


Welcome to the City, London’s most prestigious square mile, where finance reigns and Oliver King is a rising prince. 

I used to rule the world.

There might be wolves on Wall Street, but there were crocodiles in Canary Wharf. Some of us craved money. Some of us craved power.

I liked money, and power had its advantages, but what I really wanted was to excel, to surpass the men who came before me. I never cared much for love and romance until I met Alexis.

I could feel it the very moment she walked into the interview, with her outspoken charm and vivacious personality. She cast all the others in shadow, made me laugh when life held no humour. Our friendship should have remained professional, but it wasn’t long before the lines started to blur.

You know what they say about the best laid plans of mice and men? Well, I never foresaw where my plans would lead, and only in my darkest hour did I finally see the light…


You can have all the money and prestige in the world and still be the poorest man alive. And love, well, I hate to use a tired old cliché, but love can be the thing that truly sets you free.






King of Hearts can easily and simply be summarised in a single word: Perfection. Lorraine is an author who is beloved by my blogger besties, Christie & Patrycja and there are a whole host of incredible reviews by friends here on Goodreads for her Hearts Series. I'm pleased to say I've finally got a clue and had the immense pleasure of experiencing it for myself.

As someone who originally hails from Hackney in the East End, I absolutely loved that this was set not only in the backdrop of London but also in areas I grew up in. It focuses on two characters I found impossible to not fall in love with. Alexis Clark and Oliver King. Employee and Employer. Both hard working, driven individuals who hail from different walks of life but have a common genuine interest in each other and not to mention scorching attraction.




The first time they are together is nothing short of explosive. I adored King and his filthy, cultured mouth but even more so, I enjoyed the depth of his character. Alexis' character is an admirable, charismatic one; weaker female leads would have been swallowed up by King's enigma but Alexis not only holds her own but shows a strength that even King himself later leans on. There were moments that left me bereft and my heart broke for them both but also there were such hilarious, uplifting moments it was truly hard (not that I wanted to) to find fault.

This is the part where I confess that I haven't read the first two books in the series. Although they are technically standalones, they are interlinked and recurring characters are introduced in the latter half of the story. If like me you are thinking of jumping into the series here, I wouldn't discourage you. Lorraine tells the story in such a magnificent way, I never felt as though I was missing out in any capacity. My experience in receiving the story may have been different but I don't believe there was any difference in it's impact.


 photo 3BE6E29D-8B14-4D29-86D3-0794BE78F361_zpstba5wrxd.gif


L.H. Cosway has a style of writing, I felt it all the way back when I read The Nature of Cruelty it's relatable, intelligent, emotive and incredibly sexy. Having finished with a huge grin on my face, it won't take a genius to figure out I'm definitely jumping into its predecessors.


 photo 8D80F14F-0FE8-4BD8-87E5-0D368D92E223_zpsh0pnbzgk.jpg


FOLLOW SMOKIN HOT BOOK BLOG ON: 



TwitterGoogle PlusBlogEmailGoodreadsPinteresttsūFacebook



View all my reviews



0 komentarze:

Post a Comment