Thursday, May 30, 2013

Review: Secret for a Song by S.K. Falls






 Title: Secret for a Song
 Author: S. K Falls
 Release Date: June 2013
 add to Goodreads

Summary:  

Saylor Grayson makes herself sick. Literally.

She ate her first needle when she was seven. Now, at nineteen, she’s been kicked out of college for poisoning herself with laxatives. The shrinks call it Munchausen Syndrome. All Saylor knows is that when she’s ill, her normally distant mother pays attention and the doctors and nurses make her feel special.

Then she meets Drew Dean, the leader of a local support group for those with terminal diseases. When he mistakes her for a new member, Saylor knows she should correct him. But she can’t bring herself to, not after she’s welcomed into a new circle of friends. Friends who, like Drew, all have illnesses ready to claim their independence or their lives.

For the first time, Saylor finds out what it feels like to be in love, to have friends who genuinely care about her. But secrets have a way of revealing themselves. What will happen when Saylor’s is out?


Review:

Secret for a Song it's first book by S.K Falls I've ever read, so I can honestly say I didn't have any idea what to expect. I only knew that blurb looked interesting in 'out-of-the-moon' way. I mean I have never heard about people who like to be sick and are hurting themselves in this way. After reading the premise I thought I have to read it. Period. I'm very curios creature so I always poke my nose in variety of situations and lots of them involve me reading books that are out of my comfort zone. Sometimes I hate them and myslef for being stupid enough to buy it and read it but for time to time I can find a hidden gem. I can confess I've done it again and I'm very happy to announce that Secret for a Song is a rough diamond.

Secret of a Song is a story about Saylor Greyson mentally ill nineteen year old who suffers from Munchausen Syndrome you can read more about it here. From the day she swallowed needle she's obsessed with diseases. She's like medical encyclopedia! She finds variety of ways to make herself sick. She catches pneumonia infections, she poisons herself and so on. She's hurting herself for attention, love and closure, and probably most of you will hate her and think she's twisted and sick. And it will be the truth.

"For someone like me, who wore disease like a well-loved sweater, it was important to analyze the cost-benefit ratio of amount of effort required to get disease versus how long the disease lasted. And, of course, how severe it could potentially get. There was a science to it all."


"Seeing the worry on the doctors' and nurses' faces was a glourious, religious experience."

"I thought about the weird parallels between my life and that of a
junkie’s. We both closed ourselves into the bathroom first thing in the morning, syringe gripped in our sweaty little hands like it might be the nectar to life we’d been searching for. We stabbed ourselves willingly for a momentary high, for that rush that made life less boring, made it more like something we’d been promised by a steady diet of angst-y teen drama on TV."



Her Psychiatrist Dr. Stone gives her opportunity for volunteering at hospital, something she always dreamed to do, but of course she couldn't do anything that involved being near medical equipment. So Saylor started helping with preparations for supportive group meetings.

And this way she meets TIDD group, a bunch of young people her age who are terminally ill.

At the beginning it's like experiment for her, she starts lying and spending time with people who has something's she's jealous of - disease.

At the beginning I hated Saylor I thought she was selfish little brat and I was disgusted by her actions, but after a while I started to understand her.

Secret for a Song broke my heart and made me cry.

This book is a must read for every fan of The Fault in our Stars. It's a story that will blow your mind, make you cry and hurt along with charaters. It shows how fragile is true life and how understimated are people who suffer from diseases. 


0 komentarze:

Post a Comment