Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Review: Donners of The Dead by Karina Halle


18524947



Title: Donners of The Dead
Series: Standalone
Author: Karina Halle
Release Date: February 24, 2014
Rating: 4 stars
Cliffhanger:. No
***A Standalone Horror Romance***

A note about this book: Donners of the Dead is set in 1851 – couples were often thrust into marriage together with short courtships, racism was widespread and not overly frowned upon, and women had little to no rights. What wouldn't fly in today's day and age was unfortunately the norm back then - it is worth keeping that in mind when reading this book.


Jake McGraw was unlike anyone I’d ever known. He was brash, rude, unapologetic and arrogant; chauvinistic, close-minded, and terribly stubborn. He was built like a tree, tall with a hard chest and wide shoulders and hands that looked like they could wrestle a bear. He was a cigar-chomping, scruffy-faced, beast of a man. I was pretty sure I hated him. And I know he hated me. But among the flesh-eating monsters in these snow-capped mountains, he was the only thing keeping me alive

The year is 1851 and pioneers in search of California gold are still afraid to travel on the same route as the tragic Donner party did years before. When the last wagon train to go into the Sierra Nevada mountains fails to arrive at their destination, Eve Smith, an 18-year old half-native girl with immense tracking skills is brought along with the search party, headed by an enigmatic former Texas Ranger, Jake McGraw.

What they find deep in the dangerous snow-covered terrain is a terrifying consequence of cannibalism, giving new meaning to the term “monster.” While the search party is slowly picked off, one by one, Eve must learn to trust Jake, who harbors more than a few secrets of his own, in order to survive and prevent the monstrosities from reaching civilization.

***This is NOT New Adult***






"We were a tribe of two but a tribe all the same. Two broken people looking for their place in the world and finding each other."


Karina Halle’s books are always drastic and out of this world frightening and yes, I freaking love it. Every time she hits publish I am dying from the anticipation and I’m more than a little bit scared of what I will find when crack her book open. I know that I would be probably having serious problems with sleeping for at least a week after finishing, but I just can’t stop myslef. Being terrified while reading her books is addictive feeling. The perfect adrenaline rush I got while reading Donners of The Dead is still circling in my blood. How this woman write and from where she gets her ideas is something spectacular as well as very creepy. Still I will sign myself up with my blood for reading every book she publishes.


Donners of The Dead is no exception. It was creepy, petrifying and gross. I’m still shivering on the thought of someone eating human eye that is compared to an egg. I won’t be able to eat eggs for ages, now. Still the unique, phenomenal way the author mixed historical romance, true events and zombies is something worth appreciating! I really don’t remember the time when I was so creep out, and I still have the Goosebumps to prove it!



As much as I loved the horror part of the story, I was a little bit disappointed by romance. Don’t get me wrong, the hero was swoon worthy bad ass ranger and some things were blazing hot, the sexual tension was building and building, but in comparison to the other couples’ Halle created - Eve and Jake just didn’t stand out for me. I liked them together but not loved as much as Dex and Perry. Jake was charming in the ‘rough around the edges’ way, which made me and my ovaries very happy. Eve and her sweetness as well as innocence was a nice match for him, but they were not EIT couple with their craziness, which I missed.


I also hoped the book could have at least thirty pages more. I would love to see more sexy times between Jake and Eve as well as have a little bit more swoon worthy moments to nicely erase all the gore and blood from my mind.


"There are only monsters inside of angels and angels inside of monsters. Choose wisely."


Still, Karina Halle done awesome job and I felt extremely pleased with overall story. I was kept on the edge of my seat till the last sentence and the fix of horror I got will last me for a very long time.

Summing up, Donners of the Dead was super freighting, extremely heart racing and blood pumping story with a very decent addition of sweet romance in historical setting all written in Halle’s favorite fashion.


FOLLOW SMOKIN HOT BOOK BLOG ON:

TwitterFacebookGoogle PlusSmokin Hot Book BlogEmailGoodreadsPinterest




View all my reviews

0 komentarze:

Post a Comment