Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Review: Reclaiming The Sand by A. Meredith Walters



18240649


Title: Reclaiming The Sand
Series: Standalone.
Author: A Meredith Walters
Release Date: March 17th, 2014
Rating: 3.5 stars
Cliffhanger:. No



Bully and victim.
Tormenter and tormented.
Villain and hero.

Ellie McCallum was a bully. No connection to anyone or anything. A sad and lonely existence for a young woman who had come to expect nothing more for herself. Her only happiness coming from making others miserable.

Particularly Freaky Flynn.

Flynn Hendrick lived a life completely disconnected even as he struggled to become something more than that boy with Asperger's. He was taunted and teased, bearing the brunt of systematic and calculated cruelty, ultimately culminating in a catastrophic turn of events that brought Ellie and Flynn’s worlds crashing down.

But then Flynn and Ellie grew up.

And moved on.

Until years later when their paths unexpectedly cross again and the bully and the freak are face to face once more.

When labels come to define you, finding yourself feels impossible. Particularly for two people disconnected from the world who inexplicably find a connection in each other.

And out of the wreckage of their tragic beginnings, an unlikely love story unfolds.

But a painful past doesn’t always want to let go. And old wounds are never truly healed…and sometimes the further you try to run from yourself the closer you come to who you really are.


Reclaiming Sand was a rough and bumpy ride for me. I’m still not sure how should I express my opinion about what I’ve read. It certainly was a beautiful and heart wrenching story. It was definitely something original, eye-opening and… brutal. The writing, the characters, the plot were flawless. However, this book was just not exactly for me. Why? I explain in just a second.


Firstly, I had a very strong hate relationship with the main character, Ellie; for most part of the book I despised her. I couldn’t stand her bitchy behavior, her closed minded actions and hurtful streak. She was rude, she was insolent and vulgar. She was happy when someone else was hurt.. and what nailed me to believe she’s not worth Flynn’s love is her constant bitching how life was bad for her. I wanted to yell at her that she’s not the only one that had hard life. Does having rough upbringing mean that you have to make other miserable? In her book it was a great excuse, in mine? Not so much.

I also hated the people she hung out with. I hated them so much, I have the strong urge to write a 1000 words why they were horrible human beings without morals or heart, but don’t worry I’ll try not to let myself loose like that. Dania was the worst woman in the whole world and I wanted to cry out in frustration every time her disgusting behavior influenced her unborn baby. It was horrific to see how selfish and stupid she was. I hope I will never meet a real person like her in my life. She was a poison that needed to be sucked out of Ellie’s life along with the rest of the creepy crew.

Flynn wasn’t a great romantic hero I could fall in love with. On the contrary, he made me feel everything but passion, love or desire I normally feel toward hero. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not because of Asperger’s! He was the most loving, beautiful, tender and sweet person. I felt bad for him, I wanted to be his friend and help him out, but I didn’t get the ‘fall in love with, drop your panties’ vibe. And I feel very bad about it. He just did nothing to wake up my hormones or butterflies in my stomach. I know it probably will sound bad, but he was, in my eyes more of a sixteen year old teen through all the book, because I didn’t get to see inside his head while he was older.




It was hard for me to connect with the characters. I wasn’t a great fan of them and it certainly influenced my overall enjoyment and rating. I just didn’t find them captivating and appealing. Their story was perfect in its own way, but it was not a romance that swept me off my feet, it was the journey of two broken people that touched me.

Summing up, Reclaiming Sand is one of those books that holds a lot of appeal, and for many readers the magic that contain the pages will be enough to mesmerize and make them fall in love with this exceptional story. If it does make any sense to you all I loved it, I really did, but not in my usual way. It was heartbreaking, beautiful and touching and worth all the pain suffered during it.

FOLLOW SMOKIN HOT BOOK BLOG ON:

TwitterFacebookGoogle PlusSmokin Hot Book BlogEmailGoodreadsPinterest



0 komentarze:

Post a Comment