Friday, January 2, 2015

Christie's Review: Four Days by Dannika Dark

18666300




Title:Four Days
Series: Seven #4
Author: Dannika Dark
Release Date: December 16, 2014
Rating:3.5 stars
Cliffhanger: no

Ivy believes every life must have balance, and during the past year, she’s found harmony living with the Weston pack. When an evil spirit from her past threatens her wolf, it sets off a chain reaction of events that alters the course of her destiny.

Lorenzo Church is a powerful, wealthy Packmaster who rules his pack through intimidation and order. He has vowed to never love a woman because love can destroy an empire. But chaos is fast approaching in the form of a Shifter named Ivy—a Native American, like him, who has invaded his dreams since the moment they met. She is spirited, wise, and unattainable.

In an unexpected turn of events, Ivy must choose whether or not to let go of the one person she has always loved. Lorenzo discovers the root of her courage but will never win her as his mate unless he learns to listen to his heart.

Destiny will find you.






I'm not a huge reader of paranormal/Urban Fantasy, but when it comes to Dannika Dark's Seven Series, I get a little thrill every time one comes out. Her storytelling is so fantastic that even if I don't completely fall in love with the story, I fall for the telling of it. She casts such a spell over me and transports me to her meticulously detailed world of shifters. The culture she's come up with is so well thought out, I would almost believe that these men and women and their spirit wolves really exist out there somewhere. With every book, I enjoy seeing the growth of the pack, the new characters, and the possibilities for future couples. While there were a few things that just didn't click with me personally, I still found that magical escape that I always find in a Dannika Dark book and in the end, the story wrapped up on a high note, so all in all it was a pretty satisfactory read.

I would say that my favorite thing about this book is easily Ivy, the heroine. The best way to describe her would be an "old soul". She's young but speaks with clarity and wisdom. She makes people stop and re-evaluate things and see them in a way they've never considered before.

Love is not a shining star. Love is not the warm glow of the sun. Love is a river. Sometimes it's shallow and other times a mile deep. It flows toward some and away from others. It's rocky, slippery, and you can drown in it if you're not careful.

Her strength, resilience, and honor are just a few more traits that make Ivy one of the most interesting heroines I've read this year. Not only is she all these things, but she has a quiet confidence and serenity despite the awful hardships she's had to overcome in her life. She never pities herself or her circumstances, but celebrates the destination that it has taken her to.



Her traits were the perfect foil for the hero Lorenzo.

"You will not silence me, sweet Ivy. We are like a storm, you and I. Thunder and lightning."

Enzo had a lot of strengths, but he was one of my least favorite heroes of the series and he took a long time for me to warm up to. He's the alpha of a neighboring pack and rules his pack with intimidation rather than respect and love. I don't think anyone but Ivy would have been able to melt his hardened heart and make him see the error of his ways. He had his moments of sweetness, but for the most part, he was outwardly pretty detached and hard to get close to. Eventually though, he comes to realize his need to protect her and provide for her needs is something that he can't ignore. There are greater things at play than simply his deep attraction for her and her beautiful spirit.



As much as I liked how they balanced each other out, I never felt a close connection with this couple. For me, I felt like the foundation of their romance was a little weak because of the strength of the path that the story took with Fox, her tormenter from her past. The majority of the story revolved around plotting defense of his pack's attack, and Ivy's resulting crisis toward the end. (view spoiler)I am the type of reader who likes a heavy dose of romance when I read and an emotional connection to the characters and that was lacking for me this time around.

I loved revisiting all of these characters once again and as always, Dannika Dark masterfully weaves a tale of shifters, fated love, and loads of action. She even made me all teary eyed when Ivy takes the road trip with Enzo toward the end. I wanted to blubber like a fool it was so touching and poignant. I loved how supportive he was of her at this point and the very important and difficult decision she's forced to make.







FOLLOW SMOKIN HOT BOOK BLOG ON:

TwitterFacebookGoogle PlusSmokin Hot Book BlogEmailGoodreadsPinterest



View all my reviews

0 komentarze:

Post a Comment