Sunday, January 18, 2015

Eliza's Review: The Awakening of Ivy Leavold (Markham Hall, #1) by Sierra Simone


The Awakening of Ivy Leavold (Markham Hall, #1)






Title: The Awakening of Ivy Leavold
Series: Markham Hall, #1
Author: Sierra Simone
Release Date: 12th January, 2015
Rating: 3.5-4 "Wildcat" Stars stars
Cliffhanger: Yes (Mild)


Yorkshire, 1879 I am alone... 

When Ivy Leavold is left destitute by her brother’s death, she is taken in by her cousin’s brooding, tortured widower—Julian Markham. Handsome and possessive, it’s not long before Ivy falls for him. But Mr. Markham has dark secrets, secrets that may put Ivy in danger... 

I am afraid... 

As Ivy unravels the mystery surrounding her cousin’s death, she falls deeper and deeper in love with Julian, who opens her body and her mind to his indomitable will. But even as he draws pleasure and desire from her night after night, Ivy can’t shake the feeling that their passionate affair may end in violence… And I'm completely his.


 photo 2638049D-B995-470D-AD35-8CA6A3D5755B_zpsrvyiwm06.jpg

Ivy Leavold is alone in the world. Orphaned long ago, her brothers gambling debts & recent death have also left her destitute. Her saviour comes in the guise of her estranged cousin's widow, Julian Markham.

Ivy's new home, Markham Hall is much like my initial reaction to the man himself; dark and unwelcoming. Although I am not a regular historical romance reader I found myself engaged in this quite quickly and though my references maybe limited their first encounter is reminiscent of that Jane Eyre and Mr Rochester with added sexual angst.

 photo A92352B9-0518-46E0-AF6A-DC62C0DCAD84_zpsxdbvkhac.gif
“I am going to try my hardest not to ruin you,” he said. “I am going to try my hardest not to touch you again, after tonight.”

Ivy maybe in a precarious position in life but she has a wildness to her which attracts, repels and conflicts Julian; he wants her but fears destroying her. For he too has his secrets and uncommon practices which soon become apparent.

 photo 038EB555-FDF2-4807-99C8-596E7821F72F_zpsmyq3wkbd.jpg

Guest to Markham Hall bring with them an unwelcome direction to the story but from this we are able to gather more in the way of insight to Julien's past. Ivy is forced to question her position and feelings. Her fear of rejection escalates and rumours can no longer be ignored.


“Then what is at stake, Mr. Markham? Truly?” 
He seized my waist and pulled me close against him. “My soul. Yours.”


I'm fond of both Ivy and Julien and apart from a shaky episode with the guest arrival I'm looking forward to seeing where there tale goes from here. There are jealousies and forces working against them and after Julien's ending statement they will only serve to be heightened.

“My soul was yours to take from the moment I met you, Julian.”



FOLLOW SMOKIN HOT BOOK BLOG ON: 

TwitterFacebookGoogle PlusSmokin Hot Book BlogEmailGoodreadsPinterest



0 komentarze:

Post a Comment