Monday, January 27, 2014

Review: Come to Me Quietly by A. L Jackson

17306969 


Title: Come To Me Quietly
Series: Closer To You #1
Author: A. L Jackson
Release Date: January 7th, 2014
Rating: 3.5 stars
Cliffhanger: No





Aleena Moore is content with her life. She has goals and dreams and an easy smile. She also has a secret she holds locked inside.

Jared Holt believes he doesn’t deserve to love or be loved. He destroys everything he touches. Haunted by the mistake that shattered his life, he’s fled from the memory of that pain.

Jared doesn’t know why he’s compelled to return, but finds himself drawn back to the place where it all began. The exact place where it ended. When he runs into his childhood best friend, Aleena’s older brother Christopher, he agrees to share Christopher and Aleena’s apartment while he looks for a place of his own.

Aleena is no longer the little girl Jared remembers from his past and evokes feelings in him he never wanted to feel again. Terrified of destroying her, he fights to keep her away. But her touch is something he can’t resist—the touch that sealed his fate.

Their pasts are intertwined and their futures uncertain. The only truths they know are the secrets they whisper in the night.





"It was always you, Jared. Always. I can't remember a day in my life when I didn't love you."

Everybody seems to love this story and while I do get why it holds so much appeal and leaves readers extremely pleased, it didn’t fulfill me as much. I did enjoy it, but I didn’t love it. I have no idea why this happened, as in theory I should be in awe with this book, but I am not satisfied. I honestly craved a little bit more. What went wrong then?


A L Jackson wrote very emotional novel, Come To Me Quietly is absolutely bleeding with deep, painful feelings and it was very hard not to relate with characters. I ached for them, was crossing my fingers for Aly and Jared and cheering loudly to finally get them together. However this story was not one of those completely unforgettable ones – I have read similar novels and in my eyes Come To Me Quietly didn’t have anything different from them, which didn’t make it wowing.

Usually I have a soft stop for tortured heroes. But Jared made me furious more times than I can count and his constant need to run for the hills was annoying. Of course, he had few wonderful moments that made my heart flutter, but I just couldn’t get past his whining. Almost every second he was drowning in his past, and while I do understand why, I felt like he needed to get some balls. Aly seemed like more reasonable character.



"I ruin everything I touch, Aly, and I refuse to ruin you."

That made putting up with Jared was tiresome. I wanted him to be selfish for just one minute. I wanted to shake him, yell at him, heal him. He made me feel like a bipolar person. One minute I adored him (he was sweet, tender, loving, amazing) and then once again he felt guilty and not good enough (blah, blah, blah. I really wanted to hurt him with frying pan so he could finally understand that past doesn't matter and only today's actions count.)



“I don’t get to have this. I already told you… you deserve someone who can love you, someone who will be good for you, and you know that’s not me.”

Besides that I really liked how the story went. A L Jacksons writing was flawless and very easy to connect with. The romance made me swoon couple of times and some scenes were pretty hot.


Overall, Come To Me Quietly was a three and half star for me. I’m somewhere in the middle with my opinion. There were things I immensely enjoyed and some that left me shaking my head in wonder.

Nevertheless, Jackson wrote strong novel, and judging from other reviews so far, she is already leaving a great impression on other readers. I can honestly recommend it for those of you who adore ‘in love with brother’s best friend’ romance and don’t mind tortured hero.






View all my reviews

0 komentarze:

Post a Comment