Sunday, July 28, 2013

Review: Like Falling by Jaden Wilkes






Title: Like Falling (Surfacing #1)
Author: Jaden Wilkes
Release Date: 30th July
Rating: 1 star


Sarah Miller is known as a dreamer in her stifling Mennonite community, but she's hiding something from them all. A simple wish to avoid the strictly enforced life path expected of her...early marriage, babies, and work on the farm.

She wants more, so much more. Education, travel, love...sex...

A chance at university hundreds of miles away is too much to pass up, so she follows her best friend Naomi and decides to take her future into her own hands.

She had no idea this decision would change her in ways she never imagined, will the one person she falls in love with hold her back from everything she ever wanted?

***As with all my work, this novel is intended for those 18+. It is New Adult, but contains depictions of graphic sex, drug use and underage drinking.

****This is not a stand alone, it is a cliffhanger, the first of three books.







Like Falling is story that easily can be hated and loathed. Unfortunately I am all the way in Team Haters. Usually when a book catches my eye and makes me anticipate reading it my expectations are pretty high. So imagine my deep frustration and disappointment when I started getting pissed off at heroine, plot, romance interest and generally at almost every aspect of this book.

I feel like a jerk writing this, but it is the truth. Like Falling is totall mind fuck for readers who despise naive, not likeable characters. Even thinking about some of Sarah’s actions make me want to hurl. Ygh. How is that possible you can love idea of book but reading it is like pure torture?

In few words Like Falling is about a girl who lives in Mennonite Community. She’s suposed to be good Innocent girl and in the future perfect catholic, wife and mother. And then she goes to college, everything is like this: GOOD GIRL GONE BAD in a matter of seconds.





Our sweet, naive girl starts to think only about GETTING LAID. It is like she finally woke up and thought: „Hey I have a vagina I need to get rid of my hymen, because it’s so boring to be virgin! Who’s a volunteer?” and „I can say pussy, fuck and cock! It so fucking cool”
I mean really?


Ugh. Sarah wants only to have sex. That’s all. All freakin’ plot!!!
Her relationship with Tyr is only about sex and I really didn’t feel any good emotions toward him. Author tried really hard to create hot romance interest but I was so disgusted by Sarah I couldn’t connect with him at all.

Usually I love sexy parts, as you can see in my previous reviews I can die happy girl after some hot book action, but after reading about Sarah’s sexscapades and her totally silly comments I couldn’t handle them. There were parts I totally didn’t understand, like situation with Adam.

„Sarah was shocked and a little upset, but intrigued. She hadn’t thought about daytime sex. What about seeing each other totally naked in the broad daylight? She imagined herself stripping naked in front of a man, and Tyr’s face popped into her mind. No no no, Adam, it’s got to be Adam, she forced herself to think about removing her bra and panties and crawling along the bed towards Adam.”

„She didn’t even want to think about their physical relationship, she might become bitter thinking of her own lack of sex. I just want to know what it feels like, is that too much to ask?”

She was completely clueless at this point, she had seen videos and read as much as possible, but nothing would prepare her for the actual act of sex. Even her vocabulary was limited, she felt foolish even talking to him about it. What should she call their body parts?

Overall, Like Falling is bitter disappointment. I was expecting wonderful and deep coming-of-age story about finding yourself in true, big, bad world. Instead I got novel about heroine that was plain silly. It's lack of depth, true feeling and love that didn't really exist. It was sad to read a book about someone who can't find love because it's mixed with lust.



0 komentarze:

Post a Comment