Friday, August 1, 2014

Christie's review: For Fallon by Soraya Naomi

21941909




Title: For Fallon
Series: Chicago Syndicate #1
Author: Soraya Naomi
Release Date: July 26, 2014
Rating:4 stars
Cliffhanger: Yes

We all have a façade, a concealed mask we wear to portray ourselves to the world.

Fallon’s mask is real, what you see is what you get. Growing up with two loving parents in Chicago, graduating in Chicago, and now working a job she loves, she enjoys her life.

Her untarnished world is shaken when Luca crosses her path.

Luca’s mask is tightly controlled. Distrust, rivalry, and violence rule his life.

When confronted with insecurities, when the one you love wears his mask perfectly, when your life unravels and you don’t know why, do you keep trusting the person you love?

Everyone has a façade. Everyone has an ulterior motive.




I was a little hesitant at first over my decision to read this book as I was undecided if it would be something for me. But I can happily say that Soraya hit all the right spots with her first novel. This is truly something that is worth your time. The story is so well planned out-it had me glued to the pages until the very end. There was not a predictable thing about it. I will say the first 25% or so I didn't immediately fall into it with ease, but It could have possibly been just me. I can't really pinpoint what it was that made the pace seem so slow. Once I did, I could NOT put this down. It got more tense by the minute-it just kept snowballing and snowballing. And it even shocked me more than one time toward the end with some very good plot twists.

When Fallon sees Luca at a club while she's out with her best friend, some flirting ensues and there is instant attraction on both parts. She doesn't expect to ever see this intense, green eyed, well dressed man again but Luca has other plans. He has a hidden agenda and he knows quite a lot already about her. He makes it his business to continue to run into her.

Fallon is starting to creep under my skin. She's igniting a sensation I'm unfamiliar with, beyond any sensation I've experienced before, and I am going to pursue her.

But are his motives innocent or sinister? You're led to believe they're less than innocent. But why? That's the question you keep asking for quite a while. I love books that keep the curiosity going and the mind spinning and this book did that very well. Information is revealed to you bit by bit and just when you think you've guessed the general idea, you're thrown another curveball.

Fallon and Luca quickly grow a bond and they balance each other out so well. Luca's lifestyle forces him to live on edge and on guard at all times and his time with Fallon allows him to feel peaceful and relaxed for the first time.

The constant worrying, arranging, and scheming tires me. Never can I just be. I will forever be on guard with everything I do."

On the other hand, he helps her get her head out of the clouds (and her books) and really experience life. For the first time, she's taking risks and being bold. You could see that Luca had a dark side pretty much right off the bat, but he has a soft spot for her and he was so completely devoted to her.



Her innocence, free spirit, and her character draw him in and he finds that even though he knows it's the worst thing he could possibly do, he can't stop himself from falling. Even though She's quiet and laid back, she's anything but a doormat and she isn't afraid to speak up when she feels something isn't right about his behavior. Because as time goes on they seem to be growing a wedge between them. He's acting secretive and less than honest. Her gut is telling her that something is seriously wrong but she's in so deep that her heart doesn't want to believe what her head is telling her. She's always so tender, loving, and protective of her. She can't fathom what could possibly be causing the distance.



Things unravel faster and faster and I was knew something big was going to happen. It was only a matter of time. And when it does, nothing will ever be the same for either of them. There's no going back-but is there any future at all for them? The suspense was stellar! I love books with a little intrigue and a story that's different from the average book and this one fit that bill. So why only 4 stars? Though the story was completely addictive, I had mixed emotions about the hero. He was a true anti-hero and though I was expecting that, the violence was more than I was expecting. Despite my indecision over Luca, the love story, the suspense, and the intrigue of the book really added quite a bit to my rating. This debut book is truly worth a shot.



FOLLOW SMOKIN HOT BOOK BLOG ON:

TwitterFacebookGoogle PlusSmokin Hot Book BlogEmailGoodreadsPinterest




View all my reviews

0 komentarze:

Post a Comment