Friday, October 4, 2013

Review: Shard Of Us by K R Caverly


About The Book:

18000739 
Title: Shards of Us
Author: K R Caverly
Release Date: 3rd October
We meet every Wednesday night in hotel room #364. We stay there until morning--kissing, laughing, healing one another. We're both broken people, him with his alcoholic family, me with my murdered one. I don't know who he is; I don't ask for his name. I don't question him. I only love how he makes me feel, how he makes me forget just how alone I am in this world, and for now, that's all I need.

We have three rules:

1) No sex.
2) No personal questions.
3) No leaving the hotel room until morning. Not ever.

For four months, I followed the rules. I came to the hotel room every Wednesday night, and his presence never failed to cure me. I was happy with him. But one night, he doesn't show. So when I hear a scream down the hallway, I can't help myself. I break rule number three. I leave the room.

My life has never been the same since.



My Thoughts:


My rating: 3 of 5 stars



Shards Of Us is not what I expected. I hoped that it’d be as epic as the mysterious, enthralling blurb, that caught my eye, but I got something entirely else and I’m not exactly sure how I feel about it. I didn’t hate it, nor did I love it, and books that fall into meh and okay category, for me, are the hardest to write about. Should I focus on the things I didn’t like? Or should I point out the best assests?

Well, I really don’t know, what to think about Shard of Us… I fear my great expectations made me waiting on something epic, fast paced and mind blowing. Instead, at one point of reading, I caught myself at thinking ‘This is it? I’m bored.’




This is a story about two, totally broken and lonely people, that crave intimacy and closeness. In the world, where they don’t have anyone to lean on or care about, Crystal and Sebastian are like two deserted islands: empty, lonely and wild. There are empty parts in their hearts, that need to be filled with something, anything. Maybe even love.

After one meeting, these two strangers could see into each others eyes and they decided to meet every Wednesday night in hotel room #364.



But one night something’s gone wrong… and nothing was like before.

This storyline wasn’t very believeable. The plot didn’t have the strenght to fully captivate me and as much as I loved the vague idea of it, in reality I wasn’t feeling it.

I didn’t like Sebastian and his behavior left me angry and confused. Crystal out of blue methamorphosis left me wondering if she’s suffering from multiply personalities disorder. It was too suden and I couldn't point out the catalyst, that made her change from weak and depressed to strong woman. I wish it could've been more developed, and that I could see and understand why Crystal changed.

Most of the time, I couldn’t even grasp the idea of Sebastian and Crystal in healthy relationship. They were too broken and raw. I didn’t feel chemistry between them. I guess, it was just too fast for me to see it. And in most cases, when I can’t feel the need between the characters, the burning feeling of love and want, I’m not impressed with romance.



On the other hand, I enjoyed the uniqueness and refreshing idea author used in her book. Few plot twists and turns left me gaping and impressed. For the debut novel they were well thought and satisfying, which was a big plus for me ;)



Overall, Shards of Us made me feel the need to see what else K R Caverly can do to surprise me. I will be waiting for more of her books, just to satisfy my curiosity and see if she can develop as well as work on her talent. The stunning way she can jump with totally intriguing and refreshing ideas is her great asset and I will be waiting for more.







View all my reviews

0 komentarze:

Post a Comment