Monday, April 28, 2014

Christie's Review: In Bloom by Katie Delahanty

18979675


Title:In Bloom
Series: The Brightside #1
Author: Katie Delahanty
Release Date: February 10, 2014
Rating:4 stars
Cliffhanger: No
My name is Olivia Bloom and I. Am. Free.

I left for LA with everything I owned piled into my old Volkswagen and dreams of becoming a costume designer. Little did I know I’d wind up designing for a lingerie company—yeah, not sure how I landed this gig—and taken under the wing of two young Hollywood insiders. The fashion shows and parties were great, but life really got exciting when the seriously hottest lead singer of my favorite band started to fall for me. 

How does someone like me, an ordinary girl from Pittsburgh, wind up in the arms of the world’s sexiest rock star—surrounded by celebrities, fashion, and music—and not be eaten alive? Berkeley is everything I've ever dreamed of in a boyfriend, but the paparazzi, the tabloids, the rumors, it's all getting a bit too crazy. My life has become every girl’s dream come true, if only I don’t blink and lose it all… 



4 Dream Big or Go Home stars

I want to be part of a team that knows no matter what…we’re in it together…it’s our adventure…and we wouldn’t have it any other way.


This book was so refreshing! A rockstar that's just a sweet guy, he isn't alpha, he isn't a manwhore, and he could be the guy next door...if it weren't for all those paparazzi lurking around. I really enjoyed this take on the famous musician/regular girl storyline. It had it's own unique feel and flavor and wasn't like a million other I've read. It was just a cute, fun read at a time when I really needed one. I've been in a book rut and this book helped pull me right out.

When Olivia leaves Pennsylvania for the bright lights of California, she has no idea the whole other world she's getting herself into. She's like a goldfish in a sea of sharks and she's trying to find her way around and survive this new reality she's made for herself. She's decided she's going to reinvent herself-be bold, be brave, and take a leap of faith and live the life she's always dreamed. She's always had an interest in fashion, and moving to Hollywood hopefully will give her the opportunity to get her dream job, meet new and exciting people, and experience life from another perspective.


When she runs into Berkeley, the lead singer in the group Berkeley and the Brightsides (only her favorite band ever) she has a slight fangirl moment and acts like the awestruck girl she is. Her brilliant greeting?

"So, I'm a huge fan. I know you're Berkeley Dalton, and you know I'm-well, actually, you don't know-so let's move on. You're taller than I expected."

Her bumbling, clumsy, yet honest personality is so cute. You really feel for the girl and identify with her. And Berkeley was feeling her too. But if she's going to pass muster in this strange new environment, she's going to need the help of her new friends Parker and Blair. They're ready to show her the ropes, give her a California chic makeover, and teach her the rules of the Hollywood scene. And most importantly, explain the importance of....The Rules.


Berkeley goes out of his way to get the opportunity to get to know Liv better. She's a refreshingly honest and real person in this land of glitter, gloss, and plastic surgery. They were so adorable-both unsure of themselves and with a huge crush but trying to play it cool.

Peeking out of the corner of my eye, I find him watching me, his eyes burning. Fighting for distance, I close my eyes, trying to compose myself. He is overwhelming.

As they get to know each other better, they both see that they have so much in common and it takes a while, but Liv sees past his public persona and realizes he's just a guy. With a crush on a girl. He sweet, has insecurities like everybody else, and oh yeah, he has a movie star sister, gets followed by the paparazzi, and goes to little events like the Oscars and Grammys. No biggie.

Even though there wasn't a lot of sex or explicitness to it, it didn't lack in passion or emotion. And though it stirred up the emotions, it wasn't over the top angsty and dramatic. I loved the sexual tension between the two of them. It was slow building, but very real and genuine.

Our faces are inches from each other, and I'm having trouble breathing. In this moment he is my world and time ceases to exist elsewhere.

Out of nowhere, he ambushes me. Seizing my face in both of his hands, he leans into me and without warning his lips are on mine. My eyes widen as he eases my lips open. Instantly lost, I succumb, closing my eyes.


This book was exactly what I needed. Liv's wacky mother cracked me up, The twitter tweets at the beginning of each chapter were fun, the bantering, the sweetness, the whole fairytale vibe...I was feeling it. If you're in the mood for a musician book that doesn't have a manwhore, a fun and flirty book about the celebrity lifestyle, this may be the book for you. Read it!


FOLLOW SMOKIN HOT BOOK BLOG ON:

TwitterFacebookGoogle PlusSmokin Hot Book BlogEmailGoodreadsPinterest



0 komentarze:

Post a Comment