Friday, April 25, 2014

Christie's Review: Phenomenal X by Michelle A Valentine



18756982




Title: Phenomenal X
Series: Hard Knocks #1
Author: Michelle A. Valentine
Release Date: April 22, 2014
Rating:1 star
Cliffhanger:Yes
Good Girl. Notorious Bad-Boy. One Phenomenal Love. 


From the mean streets of Detroit rises the newest superstar of professional wrestling, Xavier Cold, better known as Phenomenal X. His muscular physique makes men cower before him and women lose their minds with desire.



Anna Cortez is fresh out of college and naive to the harsh realities of the real world. Tired of living under the thumb of her conservative family, she defies them when she accepts a job as the assistant to wrestling’s most notorious bad-boy. Phenomenal X has an animalistic nature that even good girl Anna finds hard to resist.



One night forced to share a bed in a sold-out hotel, lines blur between them and they quickly learn that one lustful night changes everything and neither one of them will ever be the same.




I hate to be harsh, but there was nothing I found original or exciting about this book. Maybe my expectations were too high, but I really don't think that was it. This is New Adult at it's worst and it didn't make a believer out of me.

With total honesty, I must say that there were several factors that didn't do it for me.

1)The absolute repetitiveness of being told how "Bad Boy" he is and how he is no good for her.

This point is driven home over and over. It takes up the majority of their conversations before they hook up to the point where I was flipping through their conversations. I didn't need him to keep telling her he is bad, no good, not a nice guy, that he'll hurt her, that he uses women but he doesn't want to with her...you get the idea. I got the idea.

"Maybe that's why I came out here-to get mixed up with the wrong kind of man and make a few mistakes."
He smiles and takes my hand. "You shouldn't say things like that to a man who's a walking mistake, and one who would like nothing better than to take you home with him."

"Believe me beautiful, I'm bad fucking news. A nice girl like you should run away from me as quick as you can."


Ok, so he's told her that he's no good, now he has permission to fuck up because he warned her, right? No. If you don't want to treat this kind, sweet, good girl badly who you're so protective of, just don't do it. Well, I guess he needed to live up to his reputation.

2)(view spoiler)

And my most hated young heroine response to manwhoring-Yes he's a slut, but he's HOT. He's sweet.

I wish he wasn't so damn good looking. It makes staying mad at him ridiculously difficult.



3) Their "relationship" consists of one week of "friendship" where they flirt and deny their feelings. The second week they have sex, become a couple, and they're in love.

4) It was like a watered down version of Katy Evans' Real...but with unlikable characters.

5) Nettie and Carl the old couple from the diner I loved, I actually liked them better than the main characters. They were so hilarious I actually laughed out loud at their conversations. Why couldn't I feel that way about X and Anna??

This book really was not what I was hoping for or expecting. It was too cliche and over the top. I just didn't feel anything for the two main characters besides frustration and that's being 100% real. Sorry to say, this book was not for me.



FOLLOW SMOKIN HOT BOOK BLOG ON:

TwitterFacebookGoogle PlusSmokin Hot Book BlogEmailGoodreadsPinterest









View all my reviews

0 komentarze:

Post a Comment