Saturday, April 19, 2014

Christie's Review: Leverage by Jessica Wilde

20621114


Title: Leverage
Series:The Brannock Siblings #1
Author: Jessica Wilde
Release Date: March 25th, 2014
Rating: 3 stars
Cliffhanger: No
Adventure. That's all Aislinn 'Ash' Brannock wanted in her life. Her dad and two brothers - all cops - got to see it all, but their over-protectiveness made her feel like she had been locked away in a tower with three fire breathing dragons watching her every move. Yes, it was that bad. The only silver lining? Lucas Shade. Her brothers' best friend growing up, and apparently the only man she will ever love because let's face it, none of the others even come close. After an unfortunate mistake lands her back in her father's home, her world is turned upside down and Lucas is there in a tightly wrapped package of serious with a big red bow on top. Life just got interesting, but it comes with a price, one she never wanted to pay.


Detective Lucas Shade never had a real family, but the Brannocks took him in as one of their own and he never took it for granted. Ash was a big reason for why he stuck around, but in order to save himself the beating of a lifetime from her two older brothers, he kept his feelings for her hidden. When the case he has been working on for months takes a turn, Ash could become the leverage the bad guys have been waiting for, but keeping her invisible may destroy everything Lucas has worked so hard for. Good thing Ash is the only person he would give up everything to protect. 





What I was looking for going into this book was a quick, easy read with a little bit of steam. Nothing too heavy. Did this deliver that? Yes, but somewhere it felt lacking to me. It was decent, but was I jumping up and down over it…probably not. What attracted me was the fact that Ash has two older, overprotective brothers and she’s been in love with their best friend for her whole life. I love stories like this and I wasn’t disappointed on that score. I got exactly what I was expecting. Maybe that was the problem. It was too much what I was expecting. I could’ve done with a little more surprise. The big mystery of the book I pretty much guessed from the very beginning.

Ash has loved Lucas her entire life. He’s been friends with her two brothers since they were kids and she fell in love…and never fell out of it. Not through all the years and distance she put between them to try to get over him and her unrequited feelings. What she doesn’t know is, is that he is equally crazy about her. And she hasn’t a clue.


This is one thing that didn’t sit right with me. After all those years, everyone around her could see how he looked at her and protected her but she was completely blind to everything. And….WHY did he never do anything about his feelings? The explanation for that was kind of dissatisfying. He said himself it wasn’t really her brothers threats and warnings to him to keep away.

I was an asshole and scared.” he pleaded. “I told myself it was because of your brothers, but it was just something I never thought I deserved to feel.”

That wasn't a good enough reason. I wasn't seeing the basis for his refusal to be with the love of his life.

Ash has come back to live in her hometown after a bad breakup and after seeing Lucas again, they both confirm to themselves that their feelings haven't dimmed the slightest. They try to act cool, but before too long, a horrible event pushes their inhibitions aside and they decide not to waste any more time.


Now this is where the steam comes in. There were some parts I enjoyed, but what was lacking was I didn't actually feel anything. I just wasn't feeling their chemistry or professions of deep love.

Lucas is a detective in the same station where her father is captain. An investigation has just gotten personal, someone close to him isn't who they seem and everyone important to him is put at risk. They could be used as leverage against him and he doesn't want to risk Ash while no one is completely past suspicion. Of course, things don't go as planned. No, I wasn't surprised by who the traitor was, but there was a twist that did surprise me at the end. I enjoyed that....but not Ash's reaction to it. I felt like she was a little bit of a pushover and I'm not crazy about that personality trait in a heroine.

To sum it up, this was a decent read, it had some good points to it but the emotion was lacking for me and a couple things didn't add up right. There was nothing overwhelming that bothered me, but it didn't exactly blow my hair back either. I enjoyed Ash's brothers-they were great and very protective of her. I also liked that they both had secret feelings for each other rather than just one of them. It added a little bit more to the story. Good for a light read with no angst.




FOLLOW SMOKIN HOT BOOK BLOG ON:


TwitterFacebookGoogle PlusSmokin Hot Book BlogEmailPinterest





0 komentarze:

Post a Comment