Friday, May 23, 2014

Christie's Review: Layers by Sigal Ehrlich


18269969


Title: Layers
Series:Stark #1
Author:Sigal Ehrlich
Release Date: October 10, 2014
Rating:4.5 stars
Cliffhanger:Yes

According to Hayley love is a subject of ridicule, a myth created by hopeless romantics.

When Hayley makes a resolution to declare her loose lifestyle era R.I.P, it’s all good in theory…

That is until she meets Daniel Stark, a well-respected, mid-thirties business man who is known for his short temper, lack of steady relationships as well as his strict preserve of his private life.

Opinionated, sharp tongued Hayley accidently steps into his office leaving Daniel resolved to put Hayley in her place and have her in his bed.

Both Hayley and Daniel can’t avoid the immediate instigation of the attraction between them.

In a unanimously agreed upon verdict by Hayley and her two best friends, Ian the gay self-absorbed, aspiring model and Natasha the witty, borderline neurotic soul mate, Daniel Stark is to be Hayley’s pure physical attraction, emotions aside era closure.





This book was exactly what I was in the mood for! A well executed CEO book that kept me intrigued until the very end. I have to wonder why I never checked this book out and the only thing I can come up with was that I was burned out on the businessman/CEO plot line during the release time. This was released last October and I think after the 50 Shades phenomenon, there was a mega explosion of similar books trying to cash in for a LONG time. This year I think I may have only read just a couple of this kind so there was an appropriate buffer period which allowed me to start to think about reading one again. Which leads me to Layers. The characters were well done, the plot had me guessing about several things throughout the book, and the heat was impressive and exceptional. Her best friends caused quite a few chuckles at their unabashed lack of shame and coarseness. This is one of those books that I really savored while reading.


Hayley:
This lady is something else. She's the perfect match for her crazy, blunt, and dirty-minded friends. In the beginning of the book, she's a recovering one-night stand girl. She's a disbeliever in romance and love and I can only describe her as cynical. In the past, she's only gone for casual sex but now she's trying to turn over a new leaf. This is something that had me wondering throughout the book. Why did she feel this way? This is never mentioned again after a near hook-up in the beginning of the book. Which made me wonder: with two wonderful, still in love parents, why did she become this way? I kept waiting for the explanation, and it never happened. I can only conclude that the author left this revelation for the next book.



Daniel:
I'm usually a fan of the tall, dark, and handsome variety of Heroes but this blonde guy was undeniably drool worthy.



He's young and successful with his own software company, charismatic and
extremely intelligent, witty, vulnerable and strong willed. Or as Hayley likes to put it, completely psycho!

"Seriously, I'll get fired with only two days of seniority."
"So come work here." He is still in high spirits.
"Not for all the money in the world, even if I have to work the streets."
He looks at me entertained. "And why is that, Hayley Grace? Please do tell."
I radiate my sweetest smile at him. "Because you're kind of...psycho. You know...insane..." And that is an understatement, Mr. Stark.
He lets out a husky, low laugh, and then steps over to wrap me in his embrace. "You are just too sweet."


His moods are ever changing from anger and impatience with his employees to humor, bossiness and sweetness with Hayley. She likes to refer to him as Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde and I think that's a pretty accurate description. This guy can be a total jerk at times. He never lets himself get close to anyone-in his position of wealth and power he's been used more than once by people he cared for and it's caused him to be cold and just as cynical as Hayley. The perfect pair!

When he and Hayley meet she's not intimidated, shy, or scared. She's in his face blunt and honest and she's like no one he's ever experienced. She makes him laugh, which is an almost impossible feat and impresses him with her wit and strength. Not to mention the animal attraction that explodes between them from the moment they lay eyes on each other. (Let's not forget that!)

Standing there is the very picture of hot, tall and sinful. White tee, jeans, and the most alluring bad boy stance. Something in his crooked smile inexplicably leaves me dumbfounded. For the space of a moment, I am lost in him.

Even the simplest kiss led to some explosive passion. It made for some heart pounding moments with plenty of butterflies.


The book is named layers for all the underlying layers of Daniel Stark. What you see is definitely not only what you get. As Hayley peels back the layers she finds a kindred soul, and someone that she comes to care for quickly. This is something she never anticipated happening and she's scared, doubtful, and thrilled all at the same time. She's a whirlwind of emotions and she has to wonder: Is she just in a sex fog? Has all this stellar sex brainwashed her mind or is she really feeling these never felt before emotions? I have to say, I don't blame her for wondering after some of the nuclear sex they have.


With as much as they have in common, they're still tentative about laying their hearts on the line and leaving themselves exposed. But Daniel is convinced it's worth the effort and what Daniel wants....Daniel always gets. It's like trying to fight back against a hurricane. Pointless and reckless. Does that stop her from trying? Of course not! She's Hayley! I'm not a fan of weak heroines and she is definitely not one of them.

I had several unanswered questions, and there's one heck of a cliffhanger. The good news: book 2 is already out. So don't stress-and don't delay. When you're in the mood for a good read with an alpha businessman, blunt and funny heroine with LOTS of steam...look no further. This one will most likely be for you.



**ARC kindly provided by author for an honest review**


FOLLOW SMOKIN HOT BOOK BLOG ON:

TwitterFacebookGoogle PlusSmokin Hot Book BlogEmailGoodreadsPinterest

0 komentarze:

Post a Comment