Sunday, May 4, 2014

Patrycja's Review: Count On Me by Melyssa Winchester

20873540


Title: Count on Me
Series: Standalone
Author: Melyssa Winchester
Release Date: April, 2014
Rating: 4 stars
Cliffhanger:. No.

There are people that tell you high school is the best time of your life. 
They lied. 
High school is horrible when you’re like me and you’re autistic. 

They think that because I don’t talk and I seem to always be lost in my own world, I’m stupid or deaf. Some even think I’m retarded. I’m none of those things and I don’t like that word. 

Just because I've got these issues, doesn't mean it’s all I am. There’s a lot more to me, but no one really takes the time to get to know it. At least that’s how it was until Kayden. 

Kayden Walker is bad news. He spends his time making people that are different, like me, feel even worse about themselves and he does it with a smile. He’s everything I don’t need in my life, yet he’s the one person I can’t seem to live without. 

Underneath, there’s more to him that he’s afraid to let the rest of the world see. I've seen it and as I’m finding out, we’re not so different after all…





Count on Me 
is very emotional, heartbreaking and touching read. If  Bully by Penelope Douglas
had a love child with  Reclaming The Sand by Meredith Walters this would be it.


It’s about pain, sorrow, loneliness and misunderstanding. It’s a novel that grabs your attention and pulls on the strings of your heart. It touched my soul.

I have never read Melyssa Winchester’s before, but this book definitely made me want to check out more of her work. It was so dark and painful and yet so full of hope, I devoured it in matter of hours.


Count on Me is about a seventeen year old girl that has an autism. Going to high school is a constant fight. High school is Isabelle’s personal hell. She only wants to survive another day. Bullying, teasing, calling names, beating it’s Isabelle everyday life. Nothing out of normal. Nothing extraordinary. While constantly trying to hide on school’s highways, Isabelle tries to understand her illness. Because she doesn’t think she’s retarded. She’s not dumb, she is definitely not deaf or mute. She has a brain and feelings. Why other kids don’t understand that?


Kayden is popular jock. He’s the bully that everyone is afraid of. He’s also a broken boy, that gets beaten at home by his drunk brother almost 5 days a week. He hates his life, yet he makes others miserable.


“I'm not that guy. I'm not the one that protects the girl, shielding her from the typical high school bullshit. No, I'm the one that's creating it and making as many lives as possible horrible for my own personal amusement. As much as I try to remember that thought, it seems around her, I can't. All I want to do is be that guy, the one I can never be."


One day, Kayden rescued Isabelle from his friends. And his world changes.


It was hard to understand Kayden and other popular kids. Not only was it was painful to read about shallow people like that, but also very disturbing. How can people be that merciless? So ruthless and disgusting? And then, how could I start to like and sympathize with Kayden?

And poor Isabelle? Jesus, I was so heartbroken while reading about her. The teasing I got while in school? It was laughable in comparison to what happened to her constantly.


“We’re all a little weird, Isabelle. It’s our differences that make us unique and you shouldn’t let anyone, even a boy you might like, tell you anything different.”


This book is more about friendship and survival than hot romance, but clearly Kayden and Isabelle’s relationship grows. I missed the steam a little bit, but didn’t mind that it lacked in sex department. Clearly, it is Young Adult novel.

Count on Me is a rough, bumpy ride. Emotional roller coaster that momentarily made me feel so empty and sad, but yet left me feeling hopeful too.

FOLLOW SMOKIN HOT BOOK BLOG ON:

TwitterFacebookGoogle PlusSmokin Hot Book BlogEmailGoodreadsPinterest






0 komentarze:

Post a Comment