Thursday, July 17, 2014

Patrycja's Review: Innocents by Mary Elizabeth

19214578


Title: Innocents
Series: Dusty #1
Author: Mary Elizabeth
Release Date: July 14, 2014
Rating: 1. 5 stars
Cliffhanger:. Yes

The girl with an innocent heart knows all about bad choices, but has yet to make them for herself. Searching for freedom, she finds it in the delinquent down the hall. The troublemaker with summer-sky blue eyes knows he should stay away, but can’t resist the blissful wonder who makes his house a home. She’s a hopeless romantic. He’s just hopeless. She’s his reason, but he might not catch her when she falls. She loves him. He loves her crazy. This is what happens when a love made of secrets is kept with rules instead of promises.




NOTE: There are many reviews summarizing the plot of Innocents, that’s why I won’t be doing it in my review. I will only tell you why I gave this novel 1 star rating. May contain minor spoilers.

After hearing so many wonderful things from my friends who loved Dusty when it was only a fanfic, I knew I had to read this novel. I definitely would have gotten to it earlier, when it was still free and in its original version, if it was written in first person point of view. Unfortunately, it was not, so I decided to wait for the published version, where the authors changed it. I took it a sign from heaven – it meant I had to READ it.

Well, let’s just say it was a big mistake on my part. I would have been better without reading Innocents. It was not a book for me. If I am being absolutely honest, this novel gave me the creeps. And why I can understand why so many of readers fell completely in love with this story, as the writing was very moving and my hands itched to highlight almost half of the book, sorry but in my opinion, Innocents is easily the biggest let down I experienced in ages… Why?

Firstly, I found this novel unrealistic and absolutely unbelievable. The plot was complete mind fuck; nothing made sense. It was like smashing a book for young adults, where the main characters are 13 to 16 years old and then giving them minds of ADULTS (18+) and absolutely nothing of parent supervision.

I just felt so uncomfortable seeing as 13 year old girl slept in the same bed with a boy and had a sexual relationship with him; I couldn’t enjoy those scenes! Let me tell you… 13 year old blushes or giggles when someone is talking about sex or still thinks it’s disgusting!!! I have a sister who’s 14 and every time something sexual happened I couldn’t stop thinking about my little sister!

But the sex was not the worst part; these ‘teenagers’ also were getting high… constantly. Smoking weed and drinking all the time, while their parents, supposedly strict didn’t realize what was happening under their roof. Really. *facepalm*

The things Dusty and Bliss said to each other about their love were not something a 13 or 15 year old could come up with. 20 year old? Yes! But not a little girl and a boy. No. Just no. How could they talk about love and the world like they experienced everything already?

Secondly, I hated the main characters. Dusty was absolutely the worst character I’ve read about. He was not a bad boy; he was just terrible human being, selfish brat and cheater. And Bliss? A little girl with small brain and naiveté of a newborn. She was clearly bad influenced and manipulated all the time.

What’s more I was getting confused with all the names and nicknames! They were popping out of nowhere. Dusty is Thomas, Bliss is LeighLee or L or Leigh…. Then there is Tommy and Hal or Smitty and then I was like WTH?

I am now sure I won’t be continuing on this series. It was not for me and I doubt I would have enjoyed the rest of it.


:( :( :(

FOLLOW SMOKIN HOT BOOK BLOG ON:

TwitterFacebookGoogle PlusSmokin Hot Book BlogEmailGoodreadsPinterest

0 komentarze:

Post a Comment